Monday, April 01, 2024

Smiles and tears are a part of life!



Last evening as I made my way back home
I saw a skeletal old man resembling a gnome. 
He tried to engage me with a hope-filled look
Uttering sounds that seemed all gobbledygook!

Something about him made me pause in my stride
For he resembled my father - a man of great pride. 
Could this man possibly have fallen upon bad times
Forcing him to seek from strangers a few dimes?

As I veered towards him, resting by the roadside
His tear-filled eyes could not his emotions hide. 
His trembling hands dug into his old coat pocket
And pulled out a crumpled, yellowing document. 

My eyes grew round as I realised with great awe
That I held a scroll presented to a war hero of yore!
I led him to the nearest cafe in the neighborhood
And ordered for him hot tea and nutritious food.

Watching him eat, I quickly got on my smartphone
Completing paperwork and payment in the virtual zone
Soon we headed for my pet charity - an old age home
A smile now lit the eyes of my dear heroic gnome! 

Dr. Aparna Bagwe
Mon. 1-4-2024





No comments:

Post a Comment