Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Adree...

One fine day she walked into our building compound. I don't know where she came from, this little puppy. I was off to work that morning and, as I turned the corner of the building, there she was. She spotted me from where she had been sitting near the gate, and came running at top speed to greet me, her entire body (not just her tail) wagging away to glory.

This cute pariah bitch whom I fondly named Adree (short for adrenaline.. and I hope you don't ask me why) was a hyper responder. I just had to look at her and she would get all excited and jump up at me to stare into my eyes and grin. Yes, grin! I bet she and I had been kindred souls in one of our past janams. It was I think the period just before the monsoon, maybe about ten years ago. She spent that entire rainy season in our compound. We fed her in the morning and in the evening, and left her a bowlful of water. Each day she left evidence of her greetings (muddy paw marks) on my dresses.

Then one day, she was not there. There was no evidence of an accident (our house is close to a busy thoroughfare), so we knew she was not injured/ killed. Perhaps whatever had been the purpose of our meeting, had been served? But for that brief period in time, how she enriched our lives.

Wherever you are now, Adree, I hope you are as happy as you were back then!

6 comments:

  1. Hmmm... "I bet she and I had been kindred souls in one of our past janams" thats the answer I was looking for. Its not just a matter of dogs understanding or recognizing dog lovers, theres something more to it for sure... welcome back to active blogging sis :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:44 PM

    Ahhhh, probably went off to greet another one of her pichle janam ke dost. Dogs - God created them so that we would know unselfish love and friendship in this world

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:53 PM

    Am glad to see a post from you Aparna ..wonderful reading for someone who adores animals ..keep the love flowing ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely ..... yes, thing she did her 'job' meeting you...and then was off to meet her other 'friends' ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like the new images... add punch to the site :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A touching dog tale.
    Kush

    ReplyDelete