Monday, April 10, 2023

The swirling mist

I was nudged out of sleep all of a sudden, sensing an unearthly chill in the air. Reaching out for the window curtains, I parted them to peep out into the still darkness of pre-dawn.

On the narrow, steeply curving path that led up to our rather isolated house, there swirled a mist clad humanoid form, its dark eyes staring straight back at me. 

The hair on the nape of my neck stood up on end, as a frisson of fear ran down my spine. It seemed as though my recurring nightmare was coming alive right before my fear widened eyes.

The temperature dropped a few degrees as the apparition moved towards my home. Soon the winding wooden steps creaked as shuffling footsteps moved closer and still closer to my bedroom. 

I dived beneath the soft quilt in mortal fear, squeezing my eyes shut, and praying hard. Cold, clammy hands touched me, and I heard my roommate's voice say, "Wake up, sleepy head... we're late for school!

© Dr. Aparna Bagwe
12 November 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment